Saturday 14 July 2007

A HOME AMONG THE GUM TREES


Last night my daughter performed at a Country Singing Competition. She is influenced by Norah Jones , Dixie Chicks, Missy Higgens and Brooke Fraser

Well as you know AUSTRALIAN country is usually about dreary everyday events sung in what should be an entertaining and interesting way. What I heard last night could never be called entertaining but dreary fits well.. It was dreary everyday events sung in a dreary way. Every song blended into the next. It was miserable. Tight throats, nasal voices, sharp notes every where and lack lustre performances. The judges had a terrible job to determine a winner. NO stand out today.

Some sounded like Mickey Mouse on helium.

My daughter did not fill THE bill for dreary country. THANK GOD and would never want to.

Had my daughter been well her choice of numbers would have been "Sin Wagon" a dynamic Dixie Chicks number. (believe me if she did she would been booed of the stage, this audience was not ready for that)... She was still getting over a major cold so settled for something less taxing "Life Line" a Brooke Fraser number. YES she should have blitz the competition.

She has a jaw dropping performance. That's the gene she gets from me.



I HAVE BEEN TRAUMATISED. I HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT AUSTRALIAN COUNTRY MUSIC WAS TRULY LIKE.



No comments: